Friday, March 25, 2011

Cuts Like A Knife

Got a present in the mail today... Fimo canes!  I wasn't sure I would like them, but damn are they cute once they're on the nail!  There are all sorts of cute canes, flowers, hearts, bows.  I bought them from a couple different eBay sellers, but you can get a hundred of them for as little as five dollars.  To me this is a far more reasonable option than buying the pre-cut ones.


 These are a couple of the canes I got, I just grabbed a few of them to show off.  And after much trial and error I FINALLY found a system for cutting them up that works for me!  And the most shocking part of it all is that I was listening to Bryan Adam's, "Cuts Like A Knife," song when I figured it out!  Sometimes fate just nudges you in the right direction...


This is the set up I have, the items in the pictures are: 1) lighter, 2) X-Acto knife, 3) filo canes/rods, 4) small jewelry bags, 5) a piece of card-board (something to cut the canes on so they don't damage your surface), 6) the other random things in the picture that aren't necessary.


To cut these up I heated up the blade of the X-Acto knife with the lighter, when it was slightly hot I sliced through the filo cane holding it as close to the edge as possible.  I cut as many times as I could before the blade cooled down and then I heated it up again.  I was actually really  stunned to see how thin I was able to get them.  And there you have it!  Al done!


Once they were all cut up I put them into the little jewelry bags and then into the photo album that I got at Marshals for $3.99 on clearance that I use to store all of my nail art stickers and items.


It is also the place I use to store my Konad/Fauxnad plates!  It keeps them all in one spot, they don't get scratched, and everything is labeled so I know which plate is missing if I miss place them or don't put them back right away after using them!

2 comments:

  1. How do you keep the plates from moving in the photo album ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had too much of an issue with them sliding around. I bought an album where the photo would slide in from the side instead of the top. And I store it with the album on it's side so the plates are against the bottom. It works really well for me because I can just flip through the pages and look at my plates to decide what to use! What do you do with yours?!

    ReplyDelete